Thursday, June 24, 2010

The spy beside me...

Some people would consider espionage dating weird... or lame... not me.
I figure at least it's kind of interesting to pretend you're international super spies on the trail of a government assassin. That way if you don't hit it off you've always got the storyline to keep you on track for an hour or so. That's what happened with Mr Bond.

Somehow in our online communications, we developed a story where I was a secret service agent, he was a photo journalist, and while abroad in a South American country on our respective assignments we find ourselves embroiled in the mysterious murder case of the diplomat I was assigned to protect. On various rendezvous we discover clues, while drinking strong local liquor and sweating against each other in dark corners. It was all very tantalizing and I decided to take him up on his offer of meeting face to face... in the interests of solving the crime of course.

We met up at a bar local to me, had a pleasant drink, a goofy conversation that switched between the story line and actual reality... confusing, but amusing. In the end he was a nice guy, decently attractive, who I would date again if asked, but mostly because there was a certain sense of not taking the whole ordeal so seriously. It was a date, simply put, two strangers meeting at a pre arranged spot to share details and clues as to whether or not they would like each other.

I felt very Mr and Mrs Smith.

It was definitely worth an hour of my time to play a little game with someone new.

No comments:

Post a Comment